Monday, January 4, 2010

Happy New Year

So on New Year's Eve day, I had my whole blog posting in mind. I was planning on just reminiscing about my New Year's Day last year, and how the little guy figured into the plans and made us so thankful for 2009. And I am still going to do that. But then life happened, and I had more to be thankful for.

On New Year's Eve 2008, Matt and I had plans to have a romantic dinner in Boston. Instead, we were snowed in at my dad's house. I was anxious to take a pregnancy test, but wanted to wait until I was in the privacy of my own home, so I wouldn't have to figure out how to hide the test afterwards, or hide my disappointment if the results were negative. So I had to wait until New Year's Day, and was thrilled to see that the test was positive. 2008 had been such a hard year, and Matt and I kept saying, "2009 will be a better year." And it has been, more than we could imagine.

On this New Year's eve, I was running errands on my lunch break, buying a dress for our weekend trip to New Orleans for Matt's mom's wedding, when I got a voicemail on my cell from Matt, telling me to call him as soon as I got the message. My heart dropped. I called and got his voicemail. I stopped in the middle of the sidewalk near Newbury Street in the snow and called again. All the while I am running scenarios in my head...Matt is calling, so he must be ok. There are no messages from any of my family members, so they must be ok. All I can think of is C, and how I didn't want to leave him and go to work this morning, and now, what if something is wrong? My chest was tightening and I could feel by breath get labored.

Luckily, everyone is ok. Matt was driving C to daycare, and had a minor fender bender. He did a fantastic job as dad and insisted that the police man have EMTs take a look at C, even though the fender bender was so minor that the police refused to write a report (I believe their exact words were, "it's snowing...if we wrote a report for every incident like this we would be writing reports all day"). He also kept his cool when the driver, a pizza delivery guy, kept on insisting that he should leave to deliver his pizza rather than exchange info, and then when his info was shared, it was not a driver's license, but an expired Brazilian ID (no, the policeman was not concerned about this either).

And we both kept our cool when we took C into our pediatrician's office just to double check him out. And we took a collective sign of relief when she said, "if he was my grandson, I would not be worried, he seems fine". And we both relaxed and felt so lucky when we got home and C was smiling and talking his head off, as if to say, "see, I am fine, let's have some fun"

Most of all I am thankful that the three of us have each other, and that we get through each day together...the eventful ones and the non eventful ones.

This picture has nothing to do with New Year's, but I really like it. C's friend is the daughter of one of our dear Chicago friends. I think she is at least a couple of weeks older, if not a month older. I know part of it is because he isn't in a car seat, but it cracks me up that he looks like such a big boy next to her!

Happy New Year everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment