Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Going Out to Eat

There were many great things about C's first Christmas, but the focus of this post is going out to eat. My sister graciously babysat for C so that I could take Matt out for a belated birthday lunch. It occured to me that since becoming a parent, I have viewed going out to eat in two entirely different ways than before.

1. I make it count!
We chose the restaurant where we had our rehearsal dinner (we hadn't been there since). We got dressed up. When my brother noticed I was wearing jewelry that he gave me for Christmas and asked ," whoa, where are you going?" my response was, "we hardly go out, I need to make it count!" For those that have shared meals with me, this is very different. I used to be happy going to the same places all the time (i.e. Friendlys, Northsides in Chicago). Now I sometimes what to change things up a little!

2. I want something I can't make for myself any day of the week
In the same vein as going to the same places, I used to always order the same things because they are my go to favorites (turkey sandwiches, chicken parm). Until I realized that I make those things for myself at home. So for lunch this time? Wild mushroom ravioli. There is no way I am making myself fresh pasta in the near future! This is also the reason that Matt and I ordered Krispy Kreme bread pudding and a bacon brownie on our last trip to New Orleans. Where else are we going to eat that? When Matt and I were living in Chicago, we went through a long stretch of going to the same pub for dinner Friday nights. When I think about how many miniburger, fries, and beers I ordered without even thinking about it, it just makes me laugh. Not that I regret it...those days were great, and these days are great...just funny how life with C has made me a little more adventurous in my free time!

No comments:

Post a Comment