Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Nope, not yet...





So we took C on his first plane ride to meet his family in New Orleans...two uncles, his aunt, his 3 cousins, and to catch up with his Mimi, who he hadn't seen since October. There are lots of stories to tell...how he was a superstar on both flights, how everyone loved him, how he traveled so well and slept soundly in a new place. But unfortunately, I have a feeling that when he is a teenager, we will all still refer to this first trip as "the time C didn't poop for 4 days."

Yes, this post is about poop.

I promise there won't be many like this, but this is the story of the week.

For those of you who have kids, I am sure you are all to aware about how much of your life is centered about number 2. I could have driven myself nuts following all of the parenting books the first couple of weeks, tracking every feeding and every diaper. I did for awhile...and was glad when that over attentive phase seemed to disappear.

Some of our friends have commented that we seem to be comfortable, natural new parents. I take that as a huge compliment. But I am the first to admit that the one area where we are more nervous than most is tummy things. On C's very first night in the hospital, he was taken to Children's Hospital for testing to rule out tummy problems. It ended up being a false alarm, but nonetheless really scary. So with tummy things, we don't freak out, but we do take advantage of the nurse line.

So back to our trip.

Our first afternoon there, he seemed a little fussy. I mentioned to Matt, "hmmm, I don't think he had a dirty diaper all day." I said this in front of my sister-in-law. We then told my mother-in-law, since she noticed that our usually happy guy was a little fussy. Then when my dad made his nightly phone call and heard him crying in the background, I told him.

As a result, for the next 3 days, every phone call between us, and every morning we all greeted each other with, "nope, not yet." I got an all business email from my dad that simply said "I hope C is feeling better" only to be told that night that there was hidden meaning in that email, and did I get it? (Yes, I did). We got a text message from my sister in California.

We called the nurses line twice, and were reassured that this is pretty normal.

It then became the big question: Where are we going to be when this finally happens?" Our fears were the plane. We were blessed with such a great flight down, was the return going to be the opposite?

The big event happened when we were having dinner at a friends house. The couple, who are trying to get pregnant, are renovating there house. Besides their dining table, the only furniture was a light suede couch and a big white bed. And the floors were bare concrete. Yes, I was scoping my options.

C was sitting on the floor next to me, and Matt across from me. Halfway through dinner, I think I hear something. Matt and I make eye contact...did-you-hear-what-I-heard. I start to laugh, and then we really hear something. And despite my cold, I smell something. I start laughing uncontrollably and excuse myself and my little guy...who by that point was all smiles.

I didn't care how hospitable this baby-wanting couple was...I went to their tile bathroom and avoided their bedroom at all costs!

So that was our first trip. We are now on day 2 of daycare, and I am back at work. I am really glad that we took this trip before work, so we could enjoy some family time, no matter how gastrointenstinally challenged our time was! We are hanging in there with the work transition...taking it day by day. I admit that I took advantage of their call in policy just to hear someone say to me, "yes, C is doing well today". Matt put a surprise song on my Ipod, an upbeat version of a song that I sing to C. It was very sweet...and I was smart enough to NOT listen to it on the way to work, but saved it for the trip home.

Can't wait for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment