Wednesday, December 16, 2009

First Week Back


So, we survived my first week back at work. Granted, it was a 4 day week, but it counts. My worst fear wasn't realized...C does seem to still remember and love me. While it is really hard to send him to day care at all, I think we picked the right place for him. And I like that he gets to spend "Boys Friday" and "Guys Monday" home with Dad. Matt takes great care of him, and we realize that not every dad gets the chance to spend this kind of time at home...so we are fortunate to take advantage of this now, before his career takes Matt's time away from C.
I did not cry at work, although I felt like there was a Megan cry watch last week. (I am absolutely not known for that, but I guess with so many new mom's here, they have come to expect it). I did use the "call us anytime" feature at day care on the day that this photo was taken. It was our first real snow flurry day...and it just didn't feel right to rush out and not spend more time with C. So, I called and got the update. What kind of update can you get for a 3 month old, you ask? It is about what you would expect. "He is having a great day. He ate at these times, slept at these times, and was changed at these times". Just a verbal update of what we have on a form at the end of the day. I am convinced that unless something is really wrong, that every report starts with, "your child had a great day." They are well attuned to the nerves and emotions of working parents (after all, they let you call in whenever you want!). Or I guess every day for a kid that little is when they get to eat and sleep.
Going back to work has made me really look forward to the weekend. Which on one hand is great. The only downside is that starting Saturday night, I started to get down about, "the weekend is almost over" So that will be a challenge.
This week I am on my own a lot...Matt is away 4 of the 5 work days. I feel like I am pulling all nighters, but very different from the college kind! I will update you next week on how I made out. My initial feeling right now is, why are movies like Baby Boom where the working mom is juggling a little baby around so popular? They aren't funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment